Friday, June 20, 2014

BIG FISH IN A LITTLE POND

BIG FISH IN A LITTLE POND






My daddy was a preacher in a small church in a small town.  He was happy being that small town preacher.  For many years he held a second job too.  But preaching was his passion and that church and its members was his life.

My mother always thought he short-changed himself.  I can remember her saying, “He could be preaching at a big church that would provide us a home and a bigger salary.”  He didn’t care.  Everyone at church knew him and he knew them.  He visited them when they were in the hospital.  He would go to their homes just to check in on them.  He would pray with them.  He kept their confidences.  He knew everyone’s kids, nieces and nephews, the grandparents and aunts and uncles. 

He had his faults and shortcomings but he had his positives also.  He was tender hearted.  He never met a stranger.  He would strike up a conversation with anyone, anywhere.  He was a very fast and accurate typist.  He cooked the best roast, potatoes and carrots I’ve ever eaten.  He didn’t hold a grudge.  His church members were his family and friends.  He didn’t have lofty goals and he achieved the ones he set for himself.

He was a great preacher.  His messages were succinct.  I remember him telling me that when he was in college he had a professor who said, “If you can’t get your point across in 30 minutes, you need to sit down.”  He took that to heart.  His sermons were almost always 30 minutes, except if the Cowboys were playing an early game.  Then his sermon might be 20 minutes.  No matter the length of the sermon, his message was well thought out.  Preaching truly was his calling in life.  And not just preaching but leading a congregation.  That was all he wanted in his career.

Many times when I have had to decide whether to work for a small company or a big corporation, I always thought of my daddy.  I heard him say many times, “I’d rather be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond.”  I feel the same way.  That’s why he stayed at that little church in that little town for so many years.  I know he was glad he did. 

copyrighted 2014
caryn cannatella

No comments:

Post a Comment