Sunday, November 8, 2015

BABY IT’S COLD OUTSIDE!





Tonight the temperatures in Houston will dip to the low 40's.  If you know anything about Houston, we consider that a freeze.  The weathermen will remind you to bring in the pets and the plants.

And few will even think about the people who will be sleeping on the streets trying to stay warm while we are snuggled down in our warm beds.

My son, Cody, went with me tonight to hand out some sleeping bags.   We visited one of our feeding locations and gave out about 9 of them.  

There was the old man who lives on the street in his wheel chair.  He is missing one leg completely and most of the other one.   I wish you could have heard him thanking us.   The face of Jesus.

And then the vet who lives behind the brick wall of the old Sonic Drive-in.   When I called at to him, he was so hesitant to even come near us.   I asked how many were sleeping there tonight.   "Just two of us.  Just two of us."   He seemed fearful.   "Well, here is a sleeping bag for each of you.  It's gonna be cold tonight so be sure you get in your bags."

His eyes filled with tears, "You are an angel, ma'm.  Thank you so much."  

We traveled down a street in downtown Houston.   There sat a man and a woman.  She was bundled in an old blanket.  I handed them each a sleeping bag.  Her name is Rocky.   Her face lit up.  "Are those for us?" 

"Yes, ma'm, they are!  It's gonna be cold tonight so be sure you bundle up."    "Thank you so much for these."  When we drove off, she was hugging that sleeping bed like it was a luxurious bed in a fine hotel. 

And then the man that walked up to me, "Can I shake your hand?  I see you come out here and all you do for the homeless.   Not many people do that, ma'm.  Thank you so much and God bless you."

People ask me why I do these things for the homeless.   I do it for me.   It makes me so grateful for all the blessings I have.   It makes me remember what being a Christian really is.   It's about doing for others.   It's about doing unto the least of these as Jesus would.  

It is about giving to those who cannot give to you in any way.   For the first time in my 62 years, I know that I am doing God's work.  And it completes my soul.

Thank you to all who have helped provide sleeping bags for my homeless friends.  I'm ordering two more shipments this week.  As cold fronts hit, the sleeping bags will be delivered.  

I wish I had 1000 sleeping bags.   But even with a 1000, it wouldn't be enough.

Please give to those who are less fortunate.   It will bless you more than it could ever bless them.

copyrighted 2015
caryn cannatella

Skinny Fiber Sales:  www.caryncann2.com

Weight Loss Support Group:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/CarynsChamps

No comments:

Post a Comment