Tuesday, September 9, 2014

LEARNING TO PLAY THE FLUTE

LEARNING TO PLAY THE FLUTE






Think back over your life to a time when you really wanted to learn or do something.   

I was thinking about this earlier today.  I’m trying to learn Spanish (again) and this time I’m determined to do it!  I know it’s harder to learn a language after the age of 12 but that is just an excuse.  People learn new languages all the time.  Why is it so difficult to learn something new?

I remembered back to the 7th grade.  I was in the band learning to play flute.  My flute was as old as an antique.  The pads were always coming off.  My band director, Mr. Bullock, spent a lot of time keeping that darn thing just playable.  Every note required different positions with every finger.  Then you had to have your lips just right.  You had to change the position of your lips depending where on the scale the note was.

You had to learn to breathe properly to even play the note.  You had to blow across the hole and down into it.  Don’t forget the position of your arms!  Trying holding your arms in the position in the picture for long periods of time.  Just learning that took time and practice!  And then there was the vibrato you had to learn at some point down the road.  Vibrato happened by controlling your breathing AND controlling your diaphragm.  And you had to do these things all at the same time.  How Mr. Bullock taught 100 kids playing lots of different instruments how to play them well enough for a concert at the end of the year still amazes me.

August before 8th grade we added a new challenge.  We had to memorize all of our music for football season.  We had to learn a new half time routine every two weeks.  And let me tell you they were intricate and amazing even for junior high!  We had to do the routine and play at the same time.  Yep, it was hard.  But we did it.  The entire month of August we spent 3-4 hours, 5 days a week in the East Texas sun learning.  Then we trudged indoors to learn the music.  Two nights a week we were marching.  We were committed!

By the summer after 8th grade I was practicing my flute hours and hours a day.  Probably 4-5 hours.  The more I committed, the more I practiced.  The more I practiced the better I got.  By high school I became an accomplished flute player.

I look at things I want to do now.  The 5k I completed.  The 10K I am training for.  Pushing to run.  Learning Spanish.    I am thinking about those 2 years in 7th and 8th grade.  What can I learn from that child who was 12 and 13?

Here it is in a nutshell.  First you have to want it.  I mean really want it.  Then you have to commit to it.  That means every day.  Committing.  Practicing.  Learning.  You can’t just do it once a week.  It’s a total immersion and consistency.  How many times have I heard that from runners:  Be consistent!

What makes that kid so much more committed than we as adults are?  Well, we all found our reason that kept us motivated and going.  It can be a big thing or it can be a small thing.  In Skinny Fiber we call it “finding our why”.  I can tell you what my Why was for being in the band.  Oh sure, I loved music.  I mean really loved music.  But that wasn’t it.  I was committed to learning it because if I didn’t, I had to take Physical Education.  That meant taking my clothes off and showering in a room with a bunch of other girls.  I couldn’t do that.  I was fat.  It wasn’t about the exercising.  Band kids probably did more physical activity than anyone in gym.  It was the fear and humiliation of that shower room.  So I was committed.  Those first two years were so very hard.  But I never quit.  I just kept working at it every day.

That’s one reason I set goals for myself.  A 5K.  A 10K.  A 30 day squat challenge.  My goal in a month with Spanish is to have at least a short conversation with my friend Marisela, totally in Spanish.  Yes, it scares me.  Makes me anxious.  But I know I can do it if I commit to it.  Work it every day.  Set daily goals.  Have weekly goals.  Practice and never give up.  I’ll look back in 30 days and realize how far I have come!  And I will keep going.

Go back to a time when you really committed to learning something or doing something.  Remember all the steps you took to get to your goal.  You will be amazed, especially if it was when you were a child, just how hard you worked.  That child that learned to play flute taught me a lot and still is almost 50 years later.

copyrighted 2014
caryn cannatella

Skinny Fiber Sales:  www.caryncann.com

No comments:

Post a Comment